Thursday, June 02, 2005

More Cosmic Connections

If you're a regular reader of Orange Quark, you'll have seen not just one, but two previous posts about the Cosmic Connections exhibit at the Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science and Technology (MoST) in Syracuse. I promised that I'd post some photos of the opening when I finally got them, and they arrived today. Although I'm just showing a small selection here, I'm sure we'll have a larger choice on a web page some time soon.


This first one shows the original model of the exhibit, designed in collaboration (OK, they did most of the pretty stuff) with a class of students from the design program here at Syracuse.


This one shows the entrance to Stage I, which is the part we've just completed. You can just make out the side of our stunning laser-blasted sculpture of the galaxy. I don't have a great picture of this, but when I get one I'll definitely post it - it's well worth seeing.


Here's a picture of a random selection of members of our team, with Syracuse's new Chancellor, Nancy Cantor, second from left, and the director of the MoST.


Here, I'm explaining to the Chancellor the role that dark matter plays in structure formation. Behind her you see our hologram of an N-body simulation of large-scale structure. It really is a beautiful thing. Reflected in the hologram, you can see Sam Sampere, one of the people who worked long and hard to make this exhibit work.

We had a great time at the opening and, despite our excessive worrying beforehand; it seemed to be a real success. Now we need to roll up our sleeves and get stuck into Stage II.
| | (0Pre-Haloscan) xmlns:trackback="http://madskills.com/public/xml/rss/module/trackback/">

<< Home